RECIPE OF THE MONTH: BLACKBERRY JAM
Jam is a kitchen staple and there is no reason to miss out on this delicious condiment. Our recipe for sugar-free blackberry jam uses chia seeds as a natural thickening agent. Chia seeds are high in potassium and fiber with a seedy texture. Use this jam on toast, waffles, pancakes and yogurt!
- 12 oz fresh blackberry
- 3 tbsps Health Garden Honey Sweetener
- 2 tbsps chia seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the blackberries, and lemon juice and zest, if using (or substitute fruit of choice, amount directed below).
- As the mixture begins to boil, mash the fruit with the back of a fork until it breaks down. This should take 5 minutes, give or take a few minutes depending on the type of fruit used.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the honey, starting with 1 to 2 tablespoons. Taste, and add more honey to your liking.
- Add the chia seeds and stir to incorporate. Let the jam set for about 5 minutes to thicken. Cool and transfer to a jar or air-tight container and refrigerate.
The jam will keep for approximately 2 weeks in the fridge and may be frozen. You can swap the blackberries for any fruit you like. We recommend to start with a berry base and then you can add any fruit you like. The total amount should equal 10-12oz.