How to make
For the crust:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and shortening.
- Work the shortening deftly into the flour with your fingertips until the shortening is just under pea sized.
- Combine the water and vinegar
- A tablespoon at a time, work the liquid until the dough starts to come together (you may need a little more water but only if the dough does not really come together)
- Knead lightly to a ball and divide into two pieces.
- Flatten, wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours before using.
For the pie:
Have 1 egg and brush set aside
- Combine flour, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, toss apples with vanilla extract and butter to completely coat them.
- Toss in flour mix.
- Grease the pie pan.
- On a well floured work surface, knead one ball of dough to smooth.
- Roll dough to 1-inch larger disc than the pie pan.
- Line the pie pan and press gently into the bottom. Do not trim the edges.
- Fill with apple mix and press apples to compact them down.
- Repeat with second dough to same 2½-inch larger disc than pie pan.
- Brush edges of dough inside the pan with egg.
- Lay second dough piece on top of apples and press to form the pie top.
- Seal both doughs together and crimp to desired pattern. Trim if necessary.
- Brush top dough with egg and cut a few air vents.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 1 hour or until medium golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before serving.
Gooey Apple Pie
For the crust:
- • 3 cups all purpose flour
- • 1 1/2 tsp salt
- • 1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening, cold
- • 3/4 cup water-ice cold
- • ½ tsp white vinegar
For the filling:
- • 9 granny smith apples-peeled and roughly chopped
- • 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- • 1/2 cup Health Garden Stevia Powder
- • ¾ tbsp cinnamon
- • 3 tbsp butter, melted
- • 1 tsp vanilla extract